Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Men in the Kitchen (Part One): Torched Food Trilogy


Men in the Kitchen (Part One)

 Over the past four and a half decades, I’ve done my fair share of eating.
Actually, if you take a peek at my girth, you could argue that I’ve done significantly more than my fair share.
After years of painstaking (and weight gaining) research, which included millions of consumed calories, hundreds of hours pretending to be shopping, and two lifetime barrings from a couple of wholesale warehouse stores, I have compiled a non-scientific, non-exhaustive and completely frivolous list of “ do’s” and “don’ts” for you to consider when visiting places that offer free samples.
Remember: Past successes do not indicate future performance, especially with modern surveillance technology.
1)        Change your appearance frequently. This is especially easy to do if the store also has samples of makeup. Special tip for males: save the “ extreme makeovers” for your last run of the food samples.
2)        Don’t just stand in one place taking samples from the same table. Move around for crying out loud.
3)        Don’t say “Eww! Can’t you make it without calamari?” Not all samples are meant for all people. On a positive note, if you tend to like Calamari (and who doesn’t? Admiral Ackbar was awesome!) and you hear someone saying “Eeewwww! Can’t you make it without calamari?” Just think: More calamari for me.
4)         If you grab several samples ostensibly to take them to your “wife/children/friend/great aunt Imogene from Oregon,” DO NOT consume all of them in front of the sample demonstrator. (This might invalidate your credibility.)
5)        Don’t try to scare someone off from taking the last sample ahead of you by saying “Dude, do you know how many calories are in that?” You have to be more subtle: Say something like “Dude, did you see the size of the fly that just flew out of that thing?”
6)        If you disregard item number five, and muscle a calorie-conscious “dude” out of the  “last one;” also hang on to taste the first of the next batch. You are helping the salesperson to “make sure the taste of the product is consistently good whether it’s fresh or older.”
7)        Carefully schedule your rounds around shift changes, but avoid asking “When’s the other lady coming back?”
8)        If you go back for seconds/thirds/fourths, make sure there’s no residual evidence from your first trips still on your lips or chin. (Special tip for males: Check your beard too, really.)
9)        Avoid making statements like  “Man, at Cost Club they give you the whole thing.”
10)    Don’t say “Just one more cup to make sure the pretzel to M&MÔ balance is correct.” Well, at least don’t say it more than once.

Most of my eating hang-ups came from my father. Being the son of a diabetic mom, my dad was always the food police in our household, ostensibly to prevent me from also developing the dreaded disease.
Because of this, my father became pretty consistent in hiding his candy. Unfortunately, he didn’t become consistently good at hiding his candy. This was coupled with the fact that my mom was a frugal shopper. So when Heath™ Candy Bars were on sale, she’d buy a couple hundred of them, storing them in the same hiding place. This usually meant I could scrape a few dozen off the top before Dad noticed any shrinkage in his supply.
Result: Type-2 diabetes.
Not really. I mean, I really did develop Type-2 diabetes, but it wasn’t because of what I ate. OK. Maybe a little, but it mostly is genetic.
Dad hated letting food go to waste.
When I was a teenager, my mom was on one of her frequent church “retreats.” I never quite understood what she was retreating from, until I realized how poorly she got along with Dad. Anyway, my dad wanted to feed me, apparently. (Probably my mom called him from Camp GimmeGodOverHubby and reminded him that the children (the two strange people who occupied his house while she was gone) would need sustenance.)
So, out of the blue, he comes to my room and asks, “Do you want me to cook you a frozen pizza for dinner or something?”
This is an odd request. My mom lost her sight (a side-effect of her diabetes) when I was twelve. I’d been preparing my own bachelor dinners for years.
I knew how to cook a frozen pizza, but I was hard at work accomplishing all the great things that make me who I am (a middle-aged overweight nerd with a penchant for anything that is science fiction or comic-book related.) I considered my options: If he makes me a pizza, it’ll give me fifteen minutes to do more comic book reading. I could probably knock out Spider-Man #256 and the new issue of Alpha Flight.
“Sure,” I replied.
Twenty-five minutes later, the smoke-detector went off. I kicked myself for not following up on it. My sense of frozen pizza timing was pretty solid. I should have known it once I got to Fantastic Four and Power Pack.
I repaired to the kitchen, where I discovered a thick plume of blue-grey smoke pouring out of the oven. My dad was there with an oven mitt, and a distinct odor of beer on his breath.
Dad was what you might call a problem drinker. The problem was it didn’t take too much beer to turn him into something else. My theory was that Dad’s mood was exacerbated by the drink. If he started drinking in a good mood, (very seldom,) he was transformed into a very good mood. This usually meant breaking out old Kenny Rogers and Roger Whitaker LPs. If he was in a foul mood, (more often) he wound up being an angry drunk.
Needless to say, my mom’s absence and the presence of alcohol make me very leery, but his mood so far was at worst neutral.
The strangest part about the smoke-filled kitchen was the smell.
I’d burned my fair share of frozen pizzas over the years of my pre-bachelorhood. If it wasn’t completely charred, I’d probably still eat it.
Unfortunately, I had also melted my fair share of plastic (usually experimentally) to see what could be done with melted plastic (usually first-degree burns.)
The kitchen didn’t smell of burned pizza, it smelled of melted plastic.
Dad pulled the pizza out of the oven. It was shiny.
“Did you remove the plastic before cooking the pizza?” I asked.
“Geez, no” he hissed, looking red-faced and embarrassed. “I thought you left it on and it just melted away.”
“No, you have to remove the plastic,” I said. My pre-bachelorhood apparently had much better prepared me than my Dad’s dependence on Mom’s cooking.
Ohh Geez, I thought. This has to get out of the house before we all get high from the fumes.
“You can still eat that,” my Dad said. “You can peel off the plastic and eat that.”
“No way,” I said. “I’m not eating food that’s been covered in melted plastic.”
“You can still eat that,” he said.
“You can have it,” I told him. “I’m not hungry.”
Dad looked at the pizza, which more and more resembled a small car tire.
“Nah,” he said. “I really don’t like pizza.”
He tossed the pizza into the garbage can, subsequently melting the plastic garbage can liner.
And this was years before the advent of wholesale warehouse stores that could sell us thousands more garbage bags.

…which leads us to…

11)   If your father is offering to cook you a frozen pizza, check after TWO comics.

12)   No matter how much your father is trying to help you, don’t eat food that has been cooked in melted plastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment